GO TO LOST SITES
The Crescent City Hall opened in
October of 1939. The City Hall
housed city offices,, a jail and the
fire department. It took 40 men
nine months to complete the
building. the first floor housed
the city clerk's office, rest rooms
records closet and the jail cells.
The jail cells were purchased from Oklahoma City and re-purposed. The back exit
stairs were also purchased used. After the WPA funding of $20,900, Crescent spent
only $4,000 on the project, none of which involved a bond issue or tax increases.
The Crescent City Hall is still in use today.
Work was scheduled by the WPA in 1939 for a new City Park in Crescent. It was to begin
after the completion of the City Hall and was to employ 12 men. This building was built
in the park as a bath house beside a swimming pool. $11,000 was approved for the project,
The pool was eventually relocated and in 1940 the City of Crescent re-purposed the bath
house as the Crescent City Library. It was dedicated by F.R. Daly of the Oklahoma Library
Commission on June 17, 1948. Today, the library is supported by donations by citizens of
crescent and the surrounding area.
Currently, a search
is on for a WPA
plaque that once
hung on the
Many thanks to
for this updated